Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Are You a Lexiphile? (Don't Worry, It's a Good Thing)

clipart courtesy pixabay.com

"Whoever says words can't hurt you has never got hit in the face with a dictionary." --author unknown

Did you know that those of us who love words have a name? We are lexiphiles

I just learned that the other day.

Lexiphile (noun) : a lover of words; one who is fascinated by words and language...who derives pleasure from various uses of words...who appreciates the nuances surrounding different words; a person who is extremely interested in dictionaries and lexicography. Derived from the Greek roots for "word" and "love."

Doesn't the word have a nice ring to it? Sounds so, well, respectable!

All of this came to me after receiving a forwarded email the other day with the following list. There's no attribute to whoever compiled the list, but it's for sure someone truly loves to play with words to come up with such humorous combinations:



You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

To write with a broken pencil is . . pointless.

When fish are in schools, they sometimes . . . take debate.

A thief who stole a calendar . .. . got twelve months.

When the smog lifts in Los Angeles . . . U.C.L.A.

The batteries were given out . . . free of charge.

A dentist and a manicurist married. . . . they fought tooth and nail.

With her marriage, she got a new name . . . and a dress.

When you've seen one shopping center . . . you've seen a mall.

Police were called to a day care where a three-year-old was . . . resisting a rest.

Did you hear about the fellow whose whole left side was cut off? . . . He's all right now.

A bicycle can't stand alone. . . it's two tired.

When a clock is hungry . . . it goes back four seconds.

The guy who fell onto an upholstery machine . . . was fully recovered.

He had a photographic memory . . . which was never developed.

Those who get too big for their britches will be . . . exposed in the end.

When she saw her first strands of gray hair . . . she thought she'd dye.

Acupuncture: . . . a jab well done.

A boiled egg is. . . hard to beat.


You get the idea :-)

So, did you know you were a lexiphile (sometimes spelled lexophile)? How does it make you feel? Which of the above is a personal favorite? Any you could add?

Sites of interest on the subject of lexiphile:
Lexophiles--Are You One?
How to Cultivate a Love of Words
More Word Fun
________________________________________

7 comments:

  1. So much fun. I'll need to give this to my grandkids. They would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet they'll love these. There are more in the third link :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fun. And, no, I didn't know the term lexiphile either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, it's always fun to learn new things, isn't it? We have a new title now, and it fits pretty good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha--ha. Made me laugh, Kenda, with that last part. I don't know....if someone had called me a lexiphile before reading this, I might have thought I was being insulted. Now I will just beam a little with pride :)
    Shells–Tales–Sails

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kenda, yes I am a Lexiphile. I love the word list. It made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about Lexiphile - neat word. I thought the LA one with smog was very clever - they are all really great. :)

    ReplyDelete