Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Photo-A-Day: October

"Potpourri--(n) a collection of dried flower petals, leaves, herbs, and spices that is used to scent the air; a mixture of miscellaneous things."

Photo courtesy of sxc.hu
Whimsy, beauty, reflection, anticipation. October offered all these things and more, represented in this month's photo-a-day project, a challenge I started--can it be true?--ten months ago. And what a mix of images unfolded from the month's beginning to the end--a potpourri of colors, textures, smells, and surprises. Each day offered something different including walks in the height of autumn, a photography exhibit, a stroll across a university campus, a book fair. New skills to learn, trips to plan, ideas to explore, words to write.  A hodepodge, assortment, collection, odds and ends, miscellany (synonyms for potpourri courtesy of askdefine ); "a combination of incongruous things" (Free Online Dictionary). In other words, random stuff--which is always good for the imagination. Where will it all end up? Who knows. A new story or two? One would hope.

What helped fill your potpourri bowl of experiences/inspiration this past month?

p.s.To those who will embark on Nanowrimo starting tomorrow (the annual "write a novel in a month" challenge), good luck! 
___________________________

10 comments:

  1. You seem to live in an exceptionally beautiful area, or maybe it's your photographic eye. These are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy :-) We do live a little out in the country--but I'd say nothing like where you live there in Washington based on some of the pictures I've seen you post!

      Delete
  2. I'm partial to Autumn photographs. Yours are exceptional.

    My potpourri for this month? Grandchildren, writing, work, writing, ailing parents, writing... You get the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks to you, too, Peggy. Autumn photos are some of my favorites, too. I think it's all the deep rich colors...

      Delete
  3. Beautiful work, as always~ I really connect to your photos. They all have that special "I could look at this for a really long time" quality :) My potpourri has been made up of kids' activities, broken cars, revision on a project, plans for an upcoming long visit to be with my sister, baby plans, less than stellar financial news, and excellent library programs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS~ have you thought about making greeting cards with your photos? Even if you don't sell them, they would make lovely holiday gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Jess. I do have some favorites after all these months :-) I should figure out some way to use them. I was just so keen on meeting the challenge, I didn't think about what to do with them when done. Hmmm, food for thought...!

      And your life's potpourri sure sounds full. Wishing you the best in everything :-)

      Delete
  5. Have enjoyed your photos. You have a good eye for photos and writing. :) So glad you've shared them both with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch, Karen--it's been a lot of fun :-)

      Delete
  6. I love your photos, Kenda. I like to take photos of all kinds of things too. It just depends on my mood and what inspires me.

    ReplyDelete