Wednesday, December 19, 2018

On Short Stories, O.Henry's Gift of the Magi, and Writing Gifts

courtesy Wikipedia Commons
"One dollar and eighty-seven cents. That was all. And sixty cents of it was in pennies..." --from O.Henry's The Gift of the Magi

This time of year brings to mind an all-time favorite short story, O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi. It's a story that planted itself in the heart years ago and took root while other short stories simply faded away.

Familiar with the tale? Young Della with glorious, cascading hair cannot afford what she would like to give her husband for Christmas: a watch chain befitting his most cherished possession, a fine gold pocket watch that had been handed down from grandfather to father to himself. So what does she do? She visits Madame Sofronia and... (I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read the story! But I offer a link here at American Literature online if you want to read it for yourself.)

At the same time, without Della's knowing, dear husband Jim ("James Dillingham Young") has himself done the unthinkable in order to purchase the one beautiful thing he knows his wife would be pleased with, which was...

Can you fill in the blank? O. Henry, pen name of William Sydney Porter (1862-1910), was a master of irony and plot twists (hence The O. Henry Award, an annual American award given for an exceptional short story, first presented in 1918). And although The Gift of the Magi was written in 1905 and in the language of the day, the writing is timeless, enduring, and endearing as well. The title of the story is an allusion to the Christmas story of the Magi bearing gifts for the Christ-child (Matthew 2:9-11 NLT).

Gift-giving. Gift receiving. For writers, the writing gift goes two ways. As author Amy Tan has been quoted as saying, "Writing is an extreme privilege but it's also a gift. It's a gift to yourself, and it's a gift of giving a story to someone."

In a recent entry over at Writer Unboxed,Vaughn Roycroft authors the article, "The Gifts of the Writing Life" (found here) and enumerates a list of gifts he believes a writer receives. Among other things, he includes heightening empathy, broadening outlook, stick-to-it-ive-ness and fortitude. In his concluding remarks, he says: "So regardless of our pub status or sales, regardless of whether we made our word count goals or all of our deadlines this year, let's remember the gifts we are receiving simply by way of doing what we love."

I think O. Henry would agree.

On my list of gifts that I believe a writer receives, I would add:
--a sense of exploration and discovery
--an increased awareness of detail and beauty
--challenge offered, challenge accepted, challenge ongoing!
--great friends

Echoing the question that Mr. Roycroft asks in his article: What gifts has the writing life given to you? I think it's important to occasionally review all the reasons we stay the writing course :-)

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate. And happy writing to those who continue to open--and give--the gift of writing.
_________________________________ 

4 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this story enacted on TV when I was a child -- might have been a HALLMARK HALL OF FAME production. It's a beautiful story, well worth remembering during the Christmas season. I know of at least one retelling, GOOD AND PERFECT GIFTS by Barry Moser (One of my favorite illustrators), which is set in Appalachia. Also beautiful.

    To your list of writing gifts, I think empathy might be the most important. It's impossible to write from another person's POV without realizing that any situation can be viewed from multiple angles. Sometimes there is no one "right" answer. If you live that in your mind every day, it can't help but spill over into real life. I would add self-understanding. I guess that's related to empathy. Anyway, being a writer has been a great gift for me, and I think for you as well.

    Have a very Merry Christmas with your family, Kenda. Happy writing to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, you've done it again--introduced me to something I want to get my hands on: Moser's Good and Perfect Gifts. Had not heard of this but you've convinced me it's got to be good. Thank you :-) And your additions to a writer's list of gifts are right on. I especially identify with your term self-understanding. I think that has been one gift that I continue to unwrap...

      Thanks for your insights. And I wish you a very Merry Christmas with your family, too--and a wonderful 2019!

      Delete
  2. I remember reading this story in high school. What a lovely story. And it always resonated with me as such an example of true love. As for gifts of the writing life, I loved the list Roycroft expanded on. I think I would agree with Peggy that empathy tops the list. But also I'd add expanded awareness and ever increasing information, particularly if your writing requires research (which mine frequently does). And I agree with you that writing introduces you to great friends. It really is "the gift that keeps on giving."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, it's nice to hear from you and get your perspective on writing gifts, too. And yes, writing is truly the gift that keeps on giving :-) Btw, I thought of you last night. My husband and I were watching a TV show about 'Camino de Santiago,' the 500-mile pilgrimage trek in Spain that people walk, parts of it go through Galicia--a place I know is dear to your heart. I found a link that describes the experience: http://caminodocumentary.org/the-camino-de-santiago/
      Maybe you passed some of the people along their way while you were in the area? Wishing you a great 2019...

      Delete