Monday, April 30, 2018

National Poetry Month 2018 Draws to Close

April 2018
"Poetry is vocal painting, as painting is silent poetry." --Simonides of Geos*

Amazingly as April and another National Poetry Month draw to a close, I can say I completed the 30-Poems-in-30 Days challenge, and I'm celebrating! Of course now the revision cycle kicks in, so we're not done yet, but the bones of the challenge have been completed. Completed submissions are due in a few days so I have my work cut out for me.

I'm also amazed that this precious bluebird posed long enough on a wire outside our living room window the other day that I could capture his picture (and through the glass no less). All things considered, like poetry, sometimes the best images come in quite unexpected ways.

Any amazing or unexpected things come your way lately?

*And just who was Simonides of Geos? Turns out he was a Greek poet who lived 556-468 B.C. Poetry has been around a long, long time!
________________________

7 comments:

  1. So glad you finished. It sounds like you did enter the contest. Best of luck! I agree with that beautiful quote about poetry and painting. And what a lovely little bluebird came to call. At least he — she?— must think spring is really here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the little bluebird brought us spring at last, it was a beautiful day here today :-) And yes, I entered the contest, wrote my quota of poems (haiku) and now am in the revision process with final submission due the end of the week. It truly was a fun challenge, one I'd recommend to anyone who wants to stretch their writing muscles!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you finished - good luck!

    I also have another poetry book that might interest you. IF NOT FOR THE CAT by Jack Prelutsky is a book of haiku poems that are actually riddles about animals. Really cute for young children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read Prelutsky's book, it's a great one. Thanks for the reminder--I had kind of forgotten about it. Another cute kids' haiku book is GUYKU, a Year of Haiku for Boys, by Bob Raczka. Have you heard of it? I do have a handful of other haiku for children books on the shelf, and the collection continues to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of GUYKU but haven't read it yet - something for me to check on at the library! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome-you've certainly given me lots of good book suggestions, glad I could pass one on back :-)

      Delete