Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Sun Will Shine


It's the end of a long day of revision. Most of the day I've felt like I was still on yesterday's walk, which means I was in a deep fog. Literally. A thick gray curtain had settled in over the neighborhood, and obscured vision so much that I was afraid I wouldn't be seen by approaching cars. We don't have sidewalks out our way, so I'm right on the edge of the road when I go. But I finally relented and decided to give it a try--and I'm sure glad I did. It turned out to be a great walk. I'm also glad I stuck with my hours in the chair today. For, you see, by the end of yesterday's walk, the sun was shining. By the end of today's work, progress on my WIP (I think) has been made.

And so I share a few quotes that helped me along the way:

"Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way."--E.L. Doctorow

"I heard a preacher say recently that hope is a revolutionary patience; let me add that so is being a writer. Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up." --Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

"Are you prepared to keep writing when you sit down to write? One challenge is starting; but another is continuing." --Eric Maisel, Living the Writer's Life

The sun will shine. Keep writing!

3 comments:

  1. I love those quotes! I'm heading into revisions myself and I can't wait to reshape my WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, and congrats all on the hard work! editing can be such an arduous process. i commend you for your resiliency!!

    have a fabulous weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your progress. I'm also inspired by the quotes!

    ReplyDelete