Saturday, April 30, 2016

Haiku A to Z: Z is for Zoom In


photo google images
"...look out your window and describe what you see. Try to 'zoom in' on a small detail that contains the feeling of the larger scene." --How to Write a Haiku Poem: Haiku Examples and Tips

Zoom in. This pretty much sums up what haiku has come to mean to me as this Haiku A-Z Challenge comes to a close. Of course, in the language of haiku, the zooming technique is only one of many (as noted with Ms. Reichhold's article, quoted in my T is for Technique post) but for me the idea of zooming in has come to simply mean awareness. Awareness in the moment. Seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling. Experiencing. Connecting. Appreciating. Living.

Zoning in, not zoning out. With a little zest here, a little zip there.

Interestingly, we've come full circle in the challenge: A is for Ancient (day one)...Z is for Zoom In and A is for Awareness.

I've sure had fun on this project, and I've learned zillions of things. I give a shout out to all those who ventured by and especially to those who added to the conversation. I've learned from you, too.

So, before I go (with the intent to catch up on extra zzzzz's as a reward for making it all the way to the end), I share one more haiku, day twenty six:

a to z challenge...
mister bluebird, come on in
zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
--Kenda Turner
______________________

7 comments:

  1. A perfect end :) Thanks for the lessons on haiku. Enjoy the rest we all need!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all deserve a rest as our award. Wonderful series of haiku.

    Carol at My Writing Journal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post! I will miss the haiku - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sharon and CR :-)

    And thanks, Peggy. You've been such great support through the challenge for me, appreciate it! We'll keep in touch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been able to tune in to every lesson, but I've enjoyed everything I've learned here; and, as I said earlier, I'm bookmarking this as a series to revisit and reread. I think you should go through this collection of haiku that you wrote and make up a chapbook to send out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, thank you for your encouragement :-) Not only that, but you've helped point me to another step. I was not familiar with the idea of 'chapbooks' before this. That's how new I am to poetry. I googled the idea and I have to say you've opened up a whole new world to explore. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a successful A to Z! Loved your theme. :) Hope you are catching up a bit after all the excitement.

    ReplyDelete