Friday, April 22, 2016

Haiku A to Z: S is for Smorgasboard

in woods 2014
"smorgasboard (n): 1.) a buffet offering a variety of hot and cold meats, salads, hor'doeuvres, etc. 2.) a wide range of something, a variety."

Seems like a discussion on haiku offers a buffet table variety of thoughts, approaches, invitations, opinions and more. Dishing up some examples:

On simple moments: "I guess haiku is an inspiration for me. Everyday, simple moments." --Misha Collins

On sounds: "Try to use sounds that reinforce your meaning. For example, words with short i's and t's might sound like raindrops; words with sh's might sound like wind or rushing water" --Fran Santoro Hamilton, "How to Write a Powerful Haiku Poem"

On success: "Crafting your content to fit with the seventeen-syllable framework is simultaneously an amusement and a challenge. Success can produce a unique feeling of triumph." --Fran Santoroa Hamilton (same as above)

On stress: "Haiku will keep you working with words, but it will also help you deal with your stress. And here's the best part: you don't have to wrestle with rhyme!" --Bruce Lansky

On submissions: "My first publication was a haiku in a children's magazine when I was 9 years old. I received one dollar for it! I gave the check to my dad for Christmas, and he framed it and hung it over his desk." --Linda Sue Park, Newbery Award winning author of A Single Shard

So, adding to the smorgasboard, I submit a day nineteen haiku:

silver spider web
collects diamond dew drops
for woodland showcase
--Kenda Turner
_________________________

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of stress-reduction. I was thinking just today that kids are stressed a lot in school, that we are doing too little art, music, drama ... Maybe more teachers should teach haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, I say amen to that :-) Especially when you see that Linda Sue Park's first publication was haiku. I loved stumbling across that little detail!

    ReplyDelete