Friday, April 29, 2016

Haiku A to Z: Y is for You

archive 2012
"Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!"--Dr. Seuss

Haiku is a lot of things: sensory, evocative, a moment, an image, a feeling, a mood. But at the end of the day it all really comes down to you. What resonates with you. What meaning is in it for you. What joy and/or fulfillment do you receive from it. What do you have to offer a reader.

You. Haiku will expand the world you live in. 

At the beginning of the A-Z Challenge, the day of the reveal, I wrote: "Haiku for me is a writer's prompt, a word-lover's playground, and an invitation to see things in a new light...I'm a student, still learning and experimenting, so the subject continues to take me on a path of discovery." After almost twenty-six days (one more to go!) I still feel this way. I also have found that haiku is a gift, helping to open my eyes and heart to more around me.

Hopefully it will do the same for you. Maybe you'll say yes and give it a try, too?

Still uncovering the gift with day twenty-five haiku:

yesterday's barn sighs
as bumblebee rides echoes...
flower seeds snatch dream
--Kenda Turner
____________________

5 comments:

  1. I can see this - it is amazing what you can glean through activities like this. It does open new worlds. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one. Haiku is indeed a gift. Thanks for sharing yours with us! Here's one for you:

    Yellow lilies bow
    to summer's invitation ...
    splendor in the grass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love haiku.

    i was lucky enough to have a course from a haiku master.

    One of the most important things is not telling the reader what they are supposed to see from the three images. It's just images, from which the reader deduces the emotion, feeling or whatever is that you felt when you saw it. ~Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the haiku, Kenda! I find haikus a bit difficult to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, you are so right about what we can glean from these activities--I love the challenge of it and the rewards. Thanks for stopping in...

    Peggy, your haiku is beautiful. I love the image and the connections :-) Thanks!

    Liz, thank you for your insight! Painting an image with words and not telling the reader what they're supposed to see is a hard concept to grasp. I'm still working on that. I really appreciate you reinforcing that for us students. And to think you took a course from a haiku master--awesome. That must have been a most inspiring course. Thank you very much for coming by :-)

    Rachna, thanks to you and, if you think you'd like to try writing haiku, please know that I'm still early on in the process and learning as I go. I think that's the case for a lot of people who try their hand at this poetry form. It does offer lots of benefits for the writer, especially in noticing details and expressing feelings. Thanks so much for coming by. Wishing you the best in your writing...

    ReplyDelete