Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rebound and Rewrite

They say experience is the best teacher. Well, if that's the case, what lesson did I learn after I experienced a fall on some ice this morning? Ha. Winter isn't over yet.

I had headed out for a walk, glad the weather finally cooperated. I not only looked forward to the exercise, but to quiet time and any writing inspiration that might pop into my head--as often happens--along the way. The sun shone for the first time in days and everything felt great, although I did almost slip on a slick spot at the end of the driveway.

I should have read the signs, but didn't. A bigger patch of ice farther up the road proved to be my downfall--literally. Ouch.

Well, I've slipped in my writing recently, too, and was reminded of this yesterday when sharing an article draft with my critique group. Pesky problems and weaknesses had worked their way back into my story but, much like a covering of ice, proved slick and difficult to see until my writing friends pointed them out to me.

"Rewriting," William Zinsser noted in his classic On Writing Well, "is the essence of writing well: it's where the game is won or lost." Thanks to critique partners, I rebounded and got back in the game--ready to revise and rewrite. Thanks, Connie and Lanita.

As for my walk, I revised it, too--opting to go home and rebound on our mini-trampoline instead.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you have no soreness from your fall! Thanks for giving us credit. It's great to be in a group where we're all pretty equal in skill so we can help each other.

    ReplyDelete