Monday, April 1, 2019

Celebrating National Poetry Month, 30 Quotes and Counting

a bit of poetry outside the window March 2019
April arrives bringing with it once more a month of celebrating poetry (National Poetry Month origin, here). My share in the celebration, along with a goal of reading more poetry this month as well as challenging myself to write 30-haiku-in-30 days again (last year's challenge, here)--is the following compilation of 30 of my favorite quotes on poetry. Each brings its own inspiration, one each day of the month to stir up the imagination toward poetry. Let the celebration begin...

  1. "Poetry is the languages of surprises." --Stephen Taylor Goldsberry
  2. "The poet doesn't invent. He listens." --Jean Cocteau
  3. "Poetry is a packsack of invisible keepsakes." --Carl Sandburg
  4. "Prose is a photography, poetry is a painting in oil colors." --Austin O'Malley
  5. "It is the job of poetry to clean up our word-clogged reality by creating silences around things." --Steven Mallarme
  6. "The poet lights the light and fades away, But the light goes on and on." --Emily Dickinson
  7. "I would define, in brief, the poetry of words is the rhythmical creation of Beauty."-Edgar Allen Poe 
  8. "Poetry is an echo asking a shadow to dance." --Carl Sandburg
  9. "Poetry is a language in which man explores his own amazement." --Christopher Fry
10. "I have never started a poem whose end I knew, writing the poem is discovering."--Robert Frost
11. "Poetry is the journal of a sea animal living on land wanting to fly in the air." --Carl Sandburg
12. "If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry."--Emily Dickinson
13. "Poetry is everywhere; it just needs editing." --James Tate
14. "A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." --W.H. Auden
15. "The true poem rests between the words." --Vanna Bonta
16. "Poetry is life distilled." --Gwendalyn Brooks
17. "Writing a poem is making music with words and space." --Arnold Adoff
18. "Prose is words in their best order; poetry is the best words in their best order."--Samuel Coleridge
19. "A poem is a spider web, Spun with words of wonder; Woven lace held in place, by whispers made of thunder" --Charles Ghigna
20. "Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words."-Robert Frost
21. "Poetry is a section of river fog and morning boat-lights delivered between bridges and whistles, so one says, 'Oh!' and another, 'How?'" --Carl Sandburg
22. "Some of the greatest poetry is revealing to the reader the beauty in something that was so simple you had taken it for granted." --Neil de Grasse Tyso, astrophysicist
23. "Poetry is the impish attempt to paint the color of the wind." --Maxwell Bodenheim
24. "Poems are not words, after all, but fires for the cold, ropes let down to the lost, something as necessary as bread in the pockets of the hungry." --Mary Oliver
25. "How do poems grow? They grow out of your life." --Robert Penn Warren
26. "Poetry makes life what lights and music do to the stage." --Charles Dickens
27. "Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently." --Jean Cocteau
28. "Poetry might be defined as the clear expression of mixed feelings." --W.H. Auden
29. "Poetry has the power to turn words into darts that shoot under your skin."--Penny Ashton
30. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint." --Oscar Wilde

Happy Poetry Month 2019. How does poetry stir your world?
_________________________________________

5 comments:

  1. I remember your 30 Haiku challenge - fun to read! I do enjoy poetry, though I don't read it often. This past year, I've acquired a number of Facebook friends who are poets and frequently share their own poetry. Some of it is amazing. Occasionally, I even write one myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy, so glad to know you write poetry sometimes, too :-) After all these years, I still feel like such a novice, but I do enjoy trying my hand at it. I think such writing uses a different part of our brain; it also helps us to slow down and enjoy the moment. I've said it before, but it's like a writer's playground. That being said, I should be out in this beautiful weather instead of inside! Hope you're enjoying the sunshine, too...

      Delete
  2. These quotes are so lovely. I'm bookmarking them. I've really gotten into poetry lately and, when we aren't traveling, go to two poetry groups in Sacramento, which have been great inspiration and support. I think it's great that you are taking on the 30 poems in 30 days challenge again. I look forward to reading them one day in a chapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kenda, just an update: My chapbook, Saudade - 30 poems of longing, got accepted by a small press. We just came home from our travels and found out. I have to thank you for this good news: The chapbook was a response to the 30-day Poetry Challenge you mentioned a year ago in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Elizabeth! This is exciting news, and I'm so happy for you. Please share details of publication when it comes about--I'll want to get a hold of a copy and read it :-)

      Delete