|photo courtesy of pixabay.com|
Oh, this love affair with books. It will endure for some of us for a long, long time. Never-ending TBR piles, recommendations, classics, favorites. Why are they so special to us?
I decided to explore what others say about books and reading. Some of my discoveries:
1. "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." --Haruki Murakami
2. "There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." --Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
3. "The books you don't read won't help." --Jim Rohn
4. "There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and the tired man who wants a book to read." --Gilbert K. Chesterton
5. "It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." --Oscar Wilde
6. "Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"-- Henry Ward Beecher
7. "I divide all readers into two classes; those who read to remember and those who read to forget." --William Lyon Phelps
8. "You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." --Paul Sweeney
9. "A book is a device to ignite the imagination." --Alan Bennett
10. "A good book has no ending." --R.D. Cumming
11. "Books have that strange quality, that being of the frailest and tenderest matter, they outlast brass, iron, and marble." --William Drummond, Bibliotheca Edinburgena Lectori
12. "Modern writers are the moons of literature; they shine with reflected light, with light borrowed from the ancients." --Samuel Johnson
13. "I would rather be a poor man in a garret with plenty of books than a man who did not love reading." --Thomas Babington Macaulay
14. "Novels are sweets." --William Makepeace Thackeray, Roundabout Papers: On a Lazy Idle Boy
And we thought sugar was addictive? Ha!
And now for the big announcement, the winner of my 300th post celebration giveaway...drum roll please....Catherine Winn! Congratulations, Catherine, and thanks for celebrating with me :-)
Have a great rest of the week, everyone.