|photo courtesy of Pixabay.com|
"The world is as many times new as there are children in our lives." --Robert Brault
It's been a couple of special days around here. Texts ringing, updates singing. Announcement finally came in--we're grandparents of another new little one, fifth grandchild and third granddaughter--born yesterday--and we couldn't be happier. This special child is already bringing joy to her parents, her older brother, and all of the family. They live a few states away but you can bet we'll be on our way to meet her as soon as we can.
In celebration of a wee one who's sure to help us see the world a new way and open our eyes once again to wonder, joy, and imagination (and maybe even dance steps?), I share some of my favorite quotes about babies, with hopes and prayers that more children can be raised in nurturing and loving homes. For that is all they ask for, really.
1. "If one feels the need of something grand, something infinite, something that makes one feel aware of God, one need not go far to find it. I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees the sun shining on its cradle." --Vincent van Gogh
2. "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."--Elizabeth Stone
3. "A baby has a special way of adding joy to every single day."--unknown
4. "A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."--Eda J. LeShan
5. "A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."--Carl Sandburg
6. "Babies are always more trouble than you thought--and more wonderful."--Charles Osgood
7. "Babies are such nice ways to start people."--Don Herrold
8. "Babies are bits of stardust, blown from the hand of God."--Barretto
9. "Children are a handful sometimes. A heart-full all the time."--unknown
10. "A baby is born with a need to be loved--and never outgrows it."--Frank A. Clark
11. "Every baby needs a lap."--Henry Robin
Once, way back in 2011, I posted my favorite poem about babies, "Song for a Fifth Child," by Ruth Hulbert Hamilton. It has proved to be one of my most popular posts. You can find it here if you'd like to revisit it. And prior to that, when proud big brother to new baby sister was born, I posted about his arrival in Story of Joy (here). In that post I quoted this sentiment, "Jumping for joy is great exercise."
Little did I know that four years later, I'd be posting that his baby sister has arrived and carries the name, did you guess, Joy. (See there's a theme here after all.) Special name connoting what's special about children. Oh, and only secondarily, my middle name. What an honor!
Just sharing a little bit of what has lit up our life this past week. How about you, any good news to share or a sparkle from your corner of the world?
p.s A serendipitous moment [serendipity (n): "the ability to make fortunate discoveries by accident"]--in searching for 'just' the right photo to illustrate this post, I came across these delightful baby shoes on pixabay.com. On further examination, I realized the shoes are set on a background of an open Bible. Looking closer, I saw that the words are not in English. I copied some phrases into translate.google.com and discovered the language is Portuguese. Why is this significant? My daughter-in-law is from Brazil and her first language is Portuguese! Perfect.