Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Kindness Project


Kindness. Something the world needs more of, that's for sure. Elana Johnson, YA author of the Possession series, along with others spread the word today around the blogosphere about the Kindness Project--a linked theme in which the question is asked: "How do you practice kindness?" There are many definitions, I suppose, but to me kindness means sharing a touch of beauty:

   


a kind word                                                                                                                          compassion
          a smile                                                                                                                        hospitality
               a card                                                                                                               a hug
                    a call                                                                                                       a moment
                         a helping hand                                                                               unhurriedness
                              an encouragement                                                               an "I'm sorry"
                                   a compliment                                                            eye contact
                                        homemade cookies                                         friendship
                                             a story                                                  laughter
                                                  a flower                                      respect
                                                       a positive                          chocolate
                                                           a blessing                 prayer
                                                                a caring          patience
                                                                     a softened heart
                                                                              love

Often we talk about those random acts of kindness that come our way. What about the intentional ones? How do you practice kindness?
____________________________
             

8 comments:

  1. I love that chocolate is on your list! It's certainly on mine. My kindness post talks about listening more. That's how I'm trying to practice more kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love how you displayed that! And it's amazing how such a simple act can do so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to practice kindness by consciously being more generous in my estimation of someone than my natural inclination leads me to be. If someone has never shown me that they're capable of doing (a particular thing), I try not to judge that they will always be that way, but give them room to prove to me that they're capable of being a bigger person. It's about who I am being, that opens the door to allow them to be better people. It's about not judging them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful idea. I love your suggestions, and have to say that chocolate would rank among my favorites. I think we can be kind sometimes just by treating others as we want to be treated. It's a good start, anyway.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara--"Listening"...such a great reminder and something to take to heart. Too often I find myself thinking of what I want to say next, rather than really listening. I need work on this one :-)

    Alison--thanks, and yes, simple acts express some of the most important things in life, don't they?

    Cathy--I couldn't agree with you more. We hurt our chances of getting to know someone better if we prejudge them. Another great reminder...

    And Karen, the Golden Rule! It never is out of date, is it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to agree with Cathy. My tendency is to give people the benefit of the doubt, to assume that behind every behavior there is a background I don't know.

    With my students (I teach future teachers), I try to always remember they have a life that has nothing to do with my class and that my class is often not their first priority - which doesn't mean they don't care. It amazes me sometimes to see how many priorities they can juggle at once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use my time, my ears, and my hands to do what meets needs in others around me. Words of encouragement mean so much to me, so I try to do the same for others.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm stopping in to say hi to a fellow Kindness Project Blogger! As to how I practice kindness I guess my first choice is to be a good listener. I find that most people appreciate that. I know I do. Great to meet you on this KP.

    ReplyDelete