Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Madeleine L'Engle's Secret Weapon


"One of the greatest weapons of all is laughter, a gift for fun, a sense of play which is sadly missing from the grownup world. When one of our children got isolated by a fit of sulks, my husband would say very seriously, 'Look at me. Now, don't laugh. Whatever you do, don't laugh.' Nobody could manage to stay long-faced for very long, and communication was reestablished. When Hugh and I are out of sorts with each other, it is always laughter that breaks through the anger and withdrawal. Paradox again: to take ourselves seriously enough to take ourselves lightly." --Madeleine L'Engle, A Circle of Quiet

Smile. You never know who's watching!
___________________________

8 comments:

  1. One of the traits I love most about my husband is his ability to make a joke about something that I am fretting about. It sometimes irritates me, but more often, helps me to chill out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jess. And Cathy, I can relate! As for my hubby and me, I told him when he was facing retirement that as long as he kept me laughing, we'd be all right. He has and we are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine Madeleine L'Engle saying that. I've read many of her children's books (some of them many times), and there is always an element of humor. Thanks for reminding me about that.

    Great photo, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice. I have read just one book by Madeleine L'Engle and loved it. I can relate to her advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my children fought with each other, their punishment was touching noses together for five minutes. After about a minute, they broke into fits of giggles and the argument was forgotten. As young adults, the four of them are the best of friends. Laughter solves so much!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I missed seeing this picture until now! Hilarious!!! I love the quote, and the picture---hehehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete