Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Q-and-A Fun

Photo: Microsoft Office Clipart
Got tagged the other day by blogger friend Debbie Maxwell Allen, over at Writing While the Rice Boils, for the following eleven-question blog quiz, and--taking a break from writing for the moment---thought I'd give it a try. What the heck, what do I have to lose (except maybe a little credibility?).

1. Book or movie and why? Books mostly unless the movie is based on a favorite book like Pride and Prejudice. Loved the book, loved the movie.

2. Real book or e-book? Gotta' go with real book only because I don't have a Kindle. Yet. Someday, though, especially for future trips still to be planned. I pack way too many books when I travel, and the carry-on gets mighty heavy sometimes.

3. Funniest thing you've done in the last 5 years? Well, hmmm, the one thing we still crack up over--although at the time it wasn't so funny--was the day a couple of months ago when we clumsy, butterfingered grandparents strapped in two of our grandkids to take Angelica to a preschool French class. Of course it necessitated switching their car seats over to our car, which we thought we had done successfully before their mommy headed off to work. We no sooner turned the corner on to the main road when we heard Angelica pipe up from the back seat, "Look at Adrian! Look at Adrian!"--all the time sounding like some fun game was going on back there. I turned around from the front only to find Adrian tipped over sideways, car seat and all, in the middle of the backseat. Can you say Keystone cops as you watch us pull frantically into a stranger's driveway and leap out of the car, trying to rescue the kid?? (He was okay, btw! Still I spent the rest of the trip wedged in the back seat between the two--now upright--car seats :-)

4. How would your best friend describe you? If they were honest they'd probably say I gesticulate (gesticulate: v. as in wave arms) too much when I talk. My dad once said I'd never be able to talk if someone tied my hands behind my back. My bestest friend (hubby) says I'm a good person to have coffee with...when I finally wake up (to hear him tell it) so I can talk. Next to all that, they might say I love to talk about books, writing, and/or the grandkids (note: see above). Oh, dear. I think I see a theme emerging here. Maybe I should invest more in writing dialogue?

5. Do you put yourself into books you read/write or the movies you watch? Only the ones that make me cry.

6. Favorite kind of car and why? I'd have to say an olive-green, '70 Mustang, since my then-boyfriend once picked me up in one. Surprise of surprises, he had bought the thing! I married him, and the car went on to serve us well in the first years of marriage and as the kids came along. Although, come to think of it, we never lost a kid to a car seat in it...

7. Would your choice of party be catered meal or barbecue out back? Does a catered barbecue count? That'd be my choice.

8. What's your favorite season and why? Fall. I love the warm colors. Always wish I could bottle them up and release them to float around me in the gray days of winter.

9. What specific lesson have you learned--spiritual, educational, occupational? How to choose here? Writing is a worthy calling...children bring great joy...a husband who is also your best friend is a good thing...love truly does make the world go round...a camera as faithful companion proves beauty is everywhere (I'm learning this as I do a photo-a-day challenge this year. If you want, take a peek: January, FebruaryMarch. Still working on April).

10. Besides writing, what's your favorite thing to do when you get some extra time? Read. Knit. Go for a walk. Take a photo. Gather family around.

11. What's one place you can be found at least one time a week? At church. On my three-mile walk route. Drinking that cup of coffee on Saturday morning with hubby.

I'm off to meet some of the other bloggers Debbie listed. And in turn I'm tagging the following fellow bloggers (I believe the original idea is to tag another 11, but my list is shorter than that) with the caveat that there isn't any obligation to take up the challenge unless so moved.

Karen
Cheryl
Cathy
Kimberly
Rachna
Elizabeth
Rebecca

Cheers! And as we meet and greet one another, may we raise a virtual cup of coffee in passing.

Though it would be a whole lot more fun if we could do it in person...
____________________

5 comments:

  1. So fun to learn more about you! It's funny that so many people list fall as their favorite season.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tag! I'm flattered and honored that you thought of me. And yes, how nice it would be to exchange these answers over coffee or tea in person!

    It was great to learn more about you. I had to chuckle over the car seat thing. I had a similar thing happen with my niece's car seat years ago. At the time, I was very upset with myself, having thought all was right with everything. But no harm was done and she was fine. You can be sure I check and double check fastenings now.

    Have a lovely weekend!
    Thanks again,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like a fun person! I talk with my hands too!! lol and I mess up my grandparent duties whenever I get to see my grandson:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can agree you ARE a great person to have coffee with. Wish we could do it more often!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Debbie, and sure hope you're enjoying the Pike's Peak conference you've been blogging about :-)

    Guess what, Karen! We retraced the route just yesterday--with no mishaps this time. But then again, I did ride in the backseat between the two car seats, just in case...

    Terri, looks like we have more in common than our mutual love for writing, doesn't it? Thanks for stopping by :-)

    And for sure, Peggy, we've had some fun times together, starting with that first Columbus SCBWI conference! Sure hope we can do it again sometime.

    Have a great weekend, everyone :-)

    ReplyDelete