Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Post-From-the-Past, October Archives

October 2019
One of my granddaughters recently said that I have so many books, my house is like a library. I like the sounds of that, especially as the year begins to tip into the colder months and I relish the idea of cozying up to read on a chilly day. And so, in the spirit of those of us who love books and can't seem to not be able to collect more, I offer this month's post-from-the past, October 2014 archives:

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Love Affair: 14 Quotes on Books and Reading

photo courtesy of pixabay.com
Oh, this love affair with books. It will endure for some of us for a long, long time. Never-ending TBR piles, recommendations, classics, favorites. Why are they so special to us?

I decided to explore what others say about books and reading. Some of my discoveries:

1. "If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." --Haruki Murakami

2. "There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." --Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

3. "The books you don't read won't help." --Jim Rohn

4. "There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and the tired man who wants a book to read." --Gilbert K. Chesterton

5. "It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." --Oscar Wilde

6. "Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"-- Henry Ward Beecher

7. "I divide all readers into two classes; those who read to remember and those who read to forget." --William Lyon Phelps

8. "You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." --Paul Sweeney

9. "A book is a device to ignite the imagination." --Alan Bennett

10. "A good book has no ending." --R.D. Cumming

11. "Books have that strange quality, that being of the frailest and tenderest matter, they outlast brass, iron, and marble." --William Drummond, Bibliotheca Edinburgena Lectori

12. "Modern writers are the moons of literature; they shine with reflected light, with light borrowed from the ancients." --Samuel Johnson

13. "I would rather be a poor man in a garret with plenty of books than a man who did not love reading." --Thomas Babington Macaulay

14. "Novels are sweets." --William Makepeace Thackeray, Roundabout Papers: On a Lazy Idle Boy

And we thought sugar was addictive? Ha!

Have a great rest of the week, everyone.
__________________________________

7 comments:

  1. Ah, the October post! And what a delightful reminder about books. I liked all the quotes, but I especially liked #1 and #6. I like to joke that my house looks like a used book store.

    On another note, thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I identify with #6, too. My resolve to not buy another book until I've read what I already have is truly challenged in a bookstore :-)

      Nice hearing from you. Here's to a great week, with lots of good books at hand...

      Delete
  2. I guess owning too many books is a common complaint among writers. I gave away hundreds when I retired a few months back, but hundreds more came home with me. I have a bad habit of reading those I like again and again. And then there are always new ones . . .

    As the days get shorter and cooler, isn't it nice to curl up with a great book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Peggy--we're 'on the same page', again, loving books, rereading books favorites, gathering more while at the same time purging shelves. Over this last year I took several loads of books to the local Half Price store. While I certainly haven't restocked with the same number I gave away, I have bought additional titles. How long will it be before the cleared shelves are filled again?? There will be no shortage of reading material on those chilly days this winter, that's for sure :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hello again, Kenda, Gary the poet left a reply to you on my blog. (He doesn't have his own blog yet. It's a nice comment, so you might want to stop by and read it. If he does it again, I'll direct him to your blog. Hope your own poetry is going well. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Elizabeth, and thanks for the heads-up. I'm heading over to read Gary's comment now. As for poetry, I'm playing around with a couple of new projects, we'll see where they go :-) Have a good rest of the week and happy Thanksgiving in advance!

      Delete