Wednesday, October 31, 2018

On Life's Rusty Tools, A Quote by Anne Lamott

October walk 2018
"It's funny, I always imagined when I was a kid that adults had some kind of inner toolbox full of shiny tools: the saw of discernment, the hammer of wisdom, the sandpaper of patience. But then when I grew up I found that life handed you these rusty bent old tools--friendships, prayer, conscience, honesty--and said 'do the best you can with these, they will have to do.' And mostly, against all odds, they do." --Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith

As a kid, I had similar ideas, thinking that once we were all grown up we'd act, well, we'd act like adults. We've got a lot of learning to do, don't we--all the way through life. So as one month ends and another begins, especially one which focuses on thanksgiving, I propose we add gratitude to Ms. Lamott's toolbox--a very-grownup tool that never gets rusty or bent, or goes out of style.

Agree? In addition, what tool of choice would you add to the mix?
____________________________

4 comments:

  1. There are many days I would prefer to not be the adult I must be! So thankful for God's grace while we continue to learn on our journey. Appreciate you sharing this thoughtful quote. Thanks also for your kind comments on my blog. I treasure your support and friendship. So glad we met through blogging. :) Wishing you a happy November, with productive writing times and a wonderfully blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, and wishes back to you for a great month ahead--and much success in all you have ahead you:-) I've enjoyed our friendship as well. And even though you're moving on from blogging to other ventures, I hope we can stay in touch. Take care and enjoy all the new adventures!

      Delete
  2. She gave us a good list, and I agree that gratitude is a great addition, especially with the holidays looming ahead. I think I'd add persistence, dad after day, even when it's hard. Even when there's something else you'd rather do. Knowing that I've done the best I could helps me keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, add the tool of persistence to the box. I'm reminded of the time years ago that I refinished an old upright piano. I used a beat-up scraper and lots of stripper to get the layers of paint off. But persistence won out. The same applies in life, writing, relationships, doesn't it? Thanks for the reminder, Peggy. I'm definitely adding persistence!

    ReplyDelete