Friday, March 30, 2018

Crown of Thorns at the Conservatory

Krohn Conservatory March 2018
Crown of Thorns
Euphorbia milii f. lutea
Madagascar
"This schrub was brought to the Middle East for cultivation over 2000 years ago. Legend associates it with the crown of thorns referenced in the Bible worn by Christ. This is also the oldest known plant specimen in Krohn. We can trace it to a cutting provided by a donor's plant originally collected in 1895!"--description on plaque at Krohn Conservatory, Cincinnati

We visited Cincinnati's Krohn Conservatory the other day, hubby and I along with two grandkids, for the conservatory's annual Butterfly Show. This time butterflies from Madagascar were featured. Built in 1933, the conservatory was first known as the Eden Park Greenhouse but was renamed in 1937 for Irwin M. Krohn, Commissioner for the Board of Parks. In the years since, the conservatory has become known for its great variety of rainforest, desert, and exotic plants--over 35,000 plant species from around the world. For sure, one little walkthrough does not do this place justice, with all the species to see and learn about.

It was however the above plant, Crown of Thorns, that caught my attention most, particularly since this week marks the many observances being held though out the Christian world leading up to Easter celebrations this Sunday. Coming upon this plant in this season created a personal bit of space in which to pause, ponder, reflect...

However, the main draw for most people that day was being in the showroom where thousands of butterflies are free to flit, fly, and even land on you if you are so lucky for the experience!

A few captured snaps:




 



Although rainy outside that day, inside was a delight!

Ever the writer (and/or editor), though, my eye caught a misspelling in the description of the Crown of Thorns. The sign itself may be too small to read in the photo, but my copy above is taken directly from the original. Did you catch the error? I wonder how many people viewing the plant in person have noticed the mistake?

And speaking of writing, April is National Poetry Month. Any plans to celebrate? Some resources:
30 Days, 30 Poems Challenge by tweetspeakpoetry

As for me, I'm in at the Local Gems Press Annual Poetry Chapbook Contest, again 30 poems in 30 days, theme-inspired. My chosen format will be...tada...haiku! Wish me luck!

What challenges are you up for in the upcoming month of April? Have you caught any obvious typos or grammar errors somewhere in public lately?
_______________________________

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful place to visit! Sorry, I can't quite read the sign, but I'll take your word for the mistake. I see that kind of thing in various places from time to time, though none lately. (I really hate it when I find one in a book!)

    Happy Easter, Kenda. Hope you have a lovely holiday with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised to see 'shrub' spelled 'schrub.' I even tried to research different spellings thinking maybe it's a variation of some sort, but no luck. This is one of the most glaring (public) errors I've seen in a long time. Sending you wishes for a happy Easter in return! And a great week ahed :-)

      Delete
  2. I would love to be in a conservatory where butterflies could actually land on me. Good luck with your haikus. I know you have been writing a lot of haiku lately. I just sent some poems out to contests last week and the week before, but now you are inspiring me to get involved in more poetry during April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I have to tell you that it's quite an experience when a butterfly lands on the back of your neck (like it did me)--it really, really tickles! And yes, I'm still enjoying the adventure of haiku. I've often said it's my writer's playground and prompt combined. Best of luck on the contests you've entered, and glad you're thinking of getting involved in more poetry this month! Take care. Always nice to hear from you :-)

      Delete
    2. As a follow up to our conversation: I've taken the leap and am writing 30 poems in 30 days — I hope (lol). So far I do have two. Let's see if I can do the other 28. Thanks so much for the information — which I've passed on to my writing groups. I really needed a nudge to get back into poetry.

      Delete
    3. So happy to hear this, Elizabeth! Thanks for letting me know. I'm cheering you on this month as you join in on the fun and get re-energized in writing poetry. I'll be interested in hearing how it goes for you :-)

      Delete
    4. I've actually written 11 poems now on my theme. I missed the registration date, but I'm all hyped up for the challenge, thanks to you. Meanwhile, best of luck in the contest. I'm rooting for you!

      Delete
    5. So sorry you missed the deadline, Elizabeth, but thrilled to hear you are making the 30 poems in 30 days your own challenge AND that you've written so many poems already. You are inspiring me to continue to stay the course! I have written 12 poems so far (on target, yay) but each day wonder if another idea will come :-) Yes, let's stay 'hyped up' for the challenge and see what we've got come the end of April. Thanks so much for letting me know about your progress!!

      Delete