Saturday, December 10, 2016

Emerging Stories and What It Takes

"A good story, just like a good sentence, does more than one job at once. That's what literature is: a story that does more than tell a story, that manages to reflect in some way the multilayered texture of life itself." --Karen Thompson Walker

The picture turned out to be more than I first thought it might be. I was coming home from a walk and paused by the creek at the small bridge near my house. Leaves floating on the water's surface caught my eye. I pulled out my phone and took a couple of snaps with the phone's camera. Only later when scrolling through those snaps did I note the reflection of the tree in the water. A little tweaking--and a polaroid frame thanks to Picmonkey--and the final product, above, emerged. I like Karen Thompson Walker's definition of literature and a good story. A good story, like a good sentence, she says, does more than one job at once.  Maybe the same can be said of a photo. All those layers and texture, discovering more than what was first expected. A reflection, a mood, and story all wrapped up in an image. It's fun to play around with that's for sure.

November past left me with a similar feeling. The time was filled with lots of life's layers and textures: Thanksgiving, family, shared stories--and that thing called NaNoWriMo that I used as a goal setter and prompt. Glad to say, as busy as the month was, that there were some breakthroughs and increased word count in my WIP--and unexpected surprises and discoveries along the way, those layers and textures we're talking about. Hard work is still ahead, but it was a very good month for seeing a clearer image emerge. All it took was a little more commitment :-)

How about you, are you seeing breakthroughs in your writing? Added layers to a story, more texture, unexpected discoveries? Struggling with a slowdown--or seeing a pickup? Any words of advice for making headway next year as this year draws to a close?
______________________________

9 comments:

  1. I love it when a picture turns out artsy enough to nudge it just a little farther and voila! Love your image.

    I've started writing again, in bits and pieces. Taking care of a nine-month old doesn't leave much time for it, but it is what it is, for now. It's nice that Ian is such a doll baby, such a sweet boy.

    To everything there is a season. It appears that our little Silo, who is now 18 months old, will not be with us very far into the new year. But we are all ready. Sad, of course, but ready for her suffering to end. I think it's hardest on her siblings, so if you're inclined to say a prayer, it's much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Cathy--I'll be praying for the baby and for all your family :-) I've thought of you a number of times wondering how things are. May you be blessed with many comforts and mercies in the days ahead. Thanks for stopping in and sharing an update.

    As for writing, it's good news that you're back into it some, if only a little bit. Hope you can find those times to make space for it. Take care. Wishing you all the best...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on sticking with NaNoWriMo and having breakthroughs. Right now I'm in a slow down period, although I have two books I need to send out—hopefully before January.

    On another note, I'm sorry to hear the news about Silo. Sending supportive thoughts, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth--breakthroughs are always fun, that's for sure. But I've experienced a lot of slowdowns, too. I think the story percolates in the background at the same time, though--hope this is true for you :-) Good luck on sending out those two books!

      Delete
  4. Lovely picture! Glad you shared it. Glad too, that your November yielded good things. Congrats on your progress and discoveries! Wishing you and your family many blessings this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending wishes for a wonderful holiday season back to you and yours, too, Karen :-) And happy new year, writing and all!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely photo - has a beautiful worlds-within-worlds quality!

    NaNoWriMo is something I'd love to do and probably never will. But good for you to achieve insights from it!

    My writing breakthroughs for now are that I've graded all my final exams and turned in the grades -- a lot of keystrokes but not the kind of writing you meant, is it, Kenda? What with the holidays coming up (didn't we just do this?), I suspect I'll be making good use of New Year's resolutions to get me back on track.

    Happy Holidays, Kenda, to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy, you're right, grading final exams isn't exactly what I meant by breakthroughs but, hey, it's a big accomplishment! Now maybe you can relax and enjoy the season :-) Wishing you warm and wonderful celebrations and a very happy New Year...

    ReplyDelete