Friday, December 5, 2014

For the Writer's Survival Kit: Humor, Along With 10 Quotes

photo courtesy pixabay
"From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere." --Dr. Seuss

Times, they are a-gettin' busy. Speeding up, with more and more details needing attention. It's time, I'm thinking, for a little humor. Never hurts to slow the pace for a minute and, well, laugh. Or chuckle. Or simply smile. After all, wisdom says "A cheerful heart is good medicine" (Proverbs 17:22).

With that in mind, I share with you the following, in the hopes that it will at least bring a smile to your face as you embark on what might be a busy month for you, too.

1. "Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring...'How to Build a Boat.' " --Steven Wright

2. "I was reading a book, 'The History of Glue'. I couldn't put it down." --Tim Vine

3. "The telephone book is full of facts, but it doesn't contain a single idea." --Mortimer Adler

4. "From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." --Winston Churchill

5. "If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers." --Doug Larson

6. "Listen up, Internet: there is no 'h' in 'wacky.' Got that? THERE IS NO 'H' IN WACKY.' Thank you." --Dave Barry

7. "Practically everybody in New York has half a mind to write a book, and does." --Groucho Marx

8. "Your manuscript is both good and original; but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good." --Dr. Samuel Johnson, to an aspiring writer

9. "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." --Steven Wright

10. "How old would be if you didn't know how old you were?" --Satchel Paige

Yes, I believe what Mark Twain said: "Humor is mankind's greatest blessing."

And this, from Bob Hope: "I have seen what a laugh can do. It can transform almost unbearable tears into something bearable, even hopeful."

In our household, when my husband faced retirement after nearly 35 years of teaching, I only had one thing to say: "As long as you keep me laughing, we'll be okay."

He has and we are. After all, from there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.

Is humor important to you, too? Any humorous lines you care to share?
________________________________

4 comments:

  1. I do like humor but don't include much in my writing. That's something I'm consciously trying to change. Your post made me think about all my favorite books - Harry Potter, the Divergent trilogy, anything by Maggie Stiefvater. None of them have much humor, if any. Guess I'll have to start reading my Andrew Clements books again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read funny things in writing, and if a book can surprise a laugh out of me, then I'm super happy! I wish I was a naturally funny writer, but I don't think I am. I do better w/sarcasm... Thanks for sharing the quotes, they did make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy, you've given me another author to check out, Andrew Clements. New author to me, but now I'm curious. So thank you! Although my intent is not to write humor--but rather to inject some in a rather hectic life right now :-) Thanks again for coming by. Always good to hear from you.

    Leandra, I'm like you--there's just some kind of a rush when something you read catches you off guard and makes you laugh. That's what some of these quotes did for me, too :-) Glad they made you a smile, too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humor is very important around our house! Our gang is always tossing around a funny line or joke or some such. I'm with you, it is positively therapeutic. :)

    As far as how much my writing reflects it, I am not sure, although I do know I like to include it when I can. Finding the balance in adding it naturally is tricky.

    Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete