Friday, July 20, 2012

Weekend Trivia



"A question on the run: What's unusual about unquestionably? Answer: It contains all five vowels and the letter y. I leave it to you to discover why facetious, abstemious and abstentious are collector's items." --James J. Kilpatrick

I've added this bit of trivia to my collection of English language absurdities and unusual facts. Find any word-loving tidbits for your collection lately?

p.s. Facetious (adj. "having the habit of joking") I sorta' knew. But abstemious and abstentious? Well, abstentious, it turns out, means the same as...abstemious. And abstemious? It means "sparing in eating and drinking; moderate." Confused yet?

So, are you going to be abstemious and abstentious this weekend? (She asks facetiously.) Hope your weekend is unquestionably super.
_____________________

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know the abstemious and abstentious ones. I try to be like that though - sparing in my eating! :) Doesn't always work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, around here this past weekend, we were a bit facetious at times. As far as being abstemious, well, I should probably aim my eating habits a little closer to that. :)

    ReplyDelete